The exposome, a daily challenge for the skin

June 4, 2021


What exactly do we mean by “exposome”? This little word refers to a whole host of factors which, whether acting on their own or together, have an impact on our health, and especially on our skin. The adaptive capabilities of some microalgae can serve as a source of inspiration and provide us with solutions to protect ourselves. We take a closer look.

What is the exposome?

The exposome refers to all the exposures, both internal and external, that an individual experiences from birth to death. It is therefore seen as a complement to the genome. The term was first coined by Professor Christopher Wild, Director of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, in 2005.

The exposome includes:

– environmental factors such as pollution and UV radiation;

– biological/hormonal changes such as puberty, pregnancy and menopause;

– lifestyle-related factors such as nutrition, fatigue, stress, smoking, etc.

How is the exposome related to health and skin beauty?

The different types of exposure, often invisible, that we experience have a major impact on our body and especially on our skin, the primary barrier that separates and protects us from the outside world. It is thought that only about 25% of skin aging is determined by our genes. The exposome is responsible for the remaining 75%.[1]

Some of the more harmful factors for the skin include UV radiation, pollution, smoking, diet and stress. They all act on different functions, such as the barrier effect and also pigmentation and structure, with a major impact on health.

If we take each factor individually, the damaging effects on the skin may appear to be relatively small. But synergies can emerge and amplify the impact. This is the case with UV radiation in conjunction with pollution, for example. Recent research has shown that together, they have significant negative consequences for the skin[2] and are responsible for premature skin aging.[3]

How can we limit the synergistic effect of UV radiation and pollution?

Microphyt has designed a cosmetic ingredient that is capable of amplifying and optimizing the skin’s natural defenses, protecting it from the harmful combined effects of UV rays and pollution. It works by harnessing the potential of the microalgae Porphyridium cruentum, which over the past 625 million years has developed the ability to resist and adapt to a variety of extreme environments. The active ingredient, obtained by naturally extracting Porphyridium cruentum, is powerful and rich in phycoerythrin and exopolysaccharides, two synergistic bioactive molecules that are highly effective in tackling external aggressions, in particular by protecting DNA from combined exposure to UV radiation and pollution. To find out more about Renouvellance, a natural marine solution to reduce Urban Photo Stress for a more healthy, radiant complexion, click here.




Image source: Image by StockSnap from Pixabay